Follow me on Twitter!

Friday, July 1, 2011

It frustrates me that handicapped and athlete can't be used in the same sentence...

As you guys probably know by now I'm handicapped. I have a disability called cerebral palsy (cp). I have trouble walking from it, and as a result it hinders my ability to play sports. I've tried to play in many  of the local handicapped sports leagues in my town (soccer, baseball etc.) but none of the other players shared the same competitive fire that I have because, sadly, the rest of the players barely had the mental or physical presence that I had to be able to know what to do when there was a bat or ball in there hands. Another frustrating thing is that if you kept score, you someone had to be a winner, but at the end of every single game the referees would always say the game ended in a "tie". This made me so damn frustrated every weekend, that eventually I quit. Now don't get me wrong, having a disability myself makes me a great amount of sympathy for those that have it tougher than me. I'm a member of the non-profit organization Best Buddies, which is an organization that raises awareness and helps create friendships for people with disabilities, at my local high school, but I just wish that there was some way that I could play in a type of handicapped sports league that is competitive. Isn't that what sports is about, being competitive and having fun? Now I know you you could say that they have things like wheelchair leagues, etc, but tennis isn't my thing. Another frustrating thing is that whenever you hear an amazing story about someone with a physical impairment doing something amazing, its always about someone who lost a leg or an arm, or someone with no legs or no arms. Don't get me wrong it was amazing to see that one armed wrestler take home the state title but it would be nice to see other athletes with disabilities get recognized for achievements too. A few weeks ago I was online voting for the ESPYS, ESPN's equivalent to an OSCAR. One of the categories really surprised me, best male and female athletes with a disability, so did one of the nominees, who you can read about here. Overall athletes with disabilities should be recognized more often, as I think it would bring inspiration to a lot more people.
I also think there should be more handicapped sports leagues that balance competition and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment